Social media users have actually expressed outrage and also concern followingPrime Minister Dr Keith Rowley’s proposal come waive immigration procedures and allow displaced Dominicans to endeavor to Trinidad over a 6 month period, adhering to the i of Hurricane Maria.
You are watching: Dominica vs dominican republic
Dr Rowley, speak at the article cabinet news conference ~ above Thursday, stated it was time Trinidad and Tobago nationals show their generosity and also open their homes to your Caribbean neighbours.
While citizen raised concern withthe possible influx that Dominicans and what that might mean for T&T’s crime rate, Loop naipublishers.com seek to provide a break down of the country.
Here space 10 points we know about Dominica.
1. Dominica had 13 homicides reported up until July 7, 2017.
Dominica had 10 homicides in 2016 and 2015. Through a population then, that 72,000, that gave the homicide ratea record of 22.8 homicides per capita.
2. Dominica had actually a population of 73,897as the July 2017 follow to the main Intelligence firm (CIA) fact book. This means that thousands of thousands of Dominican’s won’t flock come Trinidad as has been to express in the general public domain.
3. Dominica is not the very same as the Dominican Republic.
Dominica lies in the Windward Islands between the Caribbean Sea and also the phibìc Atlantic Ocean, halfway between Puerto Rico and Trinidad and also Tobago.
The Dominican Republic is situated in the island of Hispaniola in the higher Antilles. The island is traditionally a Spanish speaking country.
4. Dominicans speak English and also some French patois. Together of 2001, according to the CIA reality book, Dominica was inhabited with 86.6% black, 9.1% mixed and 2.9% indigenous people with 1.3% detailed as other and 0.2% unspecified.
5. In regards to statistics because that HIV/AIDS, Dominica is report a complete of 444 evidenced cases due to the fact that the outbreak of the disease in 1987. The numbers were revealed in August, 2016, by head that the HIV/AIDS prevention Unit, Alison Samuel, the Dominica News digital reported. 70 percent of the numbers were males through over 90 civilization in care/accessing care.
6. No unlike Trinidad and also Tobago, Dominica has actually a wide selection of religions. As of 2001, Dominica’s population was primarily Roman Catholic v 61.4% and Protestant at 28.6% (includes Evangelical 6.7%, saturday Day Adventist 6.1%, Pentecostal 5.6%, Baptist 4.1%, Methodist 3.7%, Church the God 1.2%, other 1.2%), Rastafarian 1.3%, Jehovah"s witness 1.2%, various other 0.3%, none 6.1%, unspecified 1.1% (2001 est.)
7. Dominica has no armed forces force except for the republic of Dominica Police pressure which has the coastline Guard.
8. Dominica has been provided as a minor transshipment allude for narcotics bound because that the US and Europe; minor three producer.
9. Dominica"s nationwide dish is themountain chicken, which are the foot of a frog called the large Ditch Frog, i beg your pardon isnative to Dominica andMontserrat. Uncovered at greater elevations, it"s aprotected speciesand can only be caught during a restricted hunting period.
10. Dominica was well-known for its lush greenry, rainforests and waterfalls. The island depended heavily on agriculture and tourism however, element Minister Roosevelt Skerrit in a CNN interview, claimed the island’s farming sector was 100% destroyed while its tourism was 95% destroyed.
See more: How To Fix The Watchtower Last Day On Earth (V, I Unlocked A Hidden Zone! (New Watchtower)
In 2015, Dominica faced Tropical Storm Erika which saw 30 civilization dead and also was said to be the most dangerous storm to hit the island since Hurricane David in 1979
Those wishing to donate relief items come Dominica can call the ODPM or the nationwide Security Ministry.
Loop is far benaipublishers.comer in the app. Customize your news feed, save posts for later, watch your reading background and more. Click the links listed below to download the application for Android and also IOS.