A quick glance throughout a map of America reveals a many names that room the exact same as in Europe – and likewise the very same as every other.
You are watching: Which u.s. city was named for a british prime minister
There are at least 23 places dubbed Paris, at the very least 35 named Lebanon, and at the very least 11 well-known as Dublin. In 2011, a biker from Manchester, England, set out come visit every 32 American Manchesters, covering Manchester-by-the-Sea in Massachusetts come a tiny city on the California coast.
Even some of America’s largest, most influential cities have actually surprising, and surprisingly humble european origins. Right here are 10 united state cities you never ever knew gained their names from Ireland and also the UK…
1. Baltimore: one anglicisation the the Irish phrase Baile an Tí Mhóir (literally "town the the big house"), this Maryland megacity was named for Cecilius Calvert, second Baron Baltimore, a peer in the Irish house of Lords. Over there is quiet a village called Baltimore ~ above the Co Cork coast, guarded through a stone monolith called the Baltimore Beacon.
2. Pittsburgh: ‘Pitt’ comes counaipublishers.comsy the Scottish basic John Forbes, who called the city for British element Minister wilhelm Pitt in 1758. ‘Burgh’ is a Scottish, Old English, and originally german word because that a defensible mound or hill, that appears in ar names throughout Europe and also North America.
3. Portland: The biggest city in Oregon, and 25th largest in the US, Portland is actually two generations far from its English ancestor. The metropolis is named for the city that Portland in Maine, which is itself derived from the Portland peninsula the juts the end from the English county of Dorset.
4. Menlo Park: ideal known because that ‘the sorcerer’s of Menlo Park’ cutting board Edison, this ar in new Jersey was called after a city in California, which in turn took its surname from the town of Menlo on the outskirts of Galway.
5. Boston: The biggest city in new England, Boston enjoys an unusually direct link to its european namesake, established by Puritan inhabitants from the Lincolnshire industry town of the very same name.
6. Charlotte: named for George III’s consort Queen Charlotte, America’s 15th most populous city is just one of several polities named after English queens. The whole state of Maryland is dubbed after Charles I’s wife Henrietta Maria, if Virginia and also West Virginia were named for Elizabeth I, climate as now nicknamed The Virgin Queen.
7. Charleston: The biggest city in southern Carolina, that shouldn’t it is in a surprised that Charleston is named after the English king Charles I. The Latin tantamount of Charles is carolus, and North and South Carolina are named for the too.
8. New York: It’s noticeable when friend think about it, but not anyone does. ~ a short stint as the Dutch swarm of brand-new Amsterdam, new York to be renamed by the brother in 1664 after the city of York, climate as now a county funding in Yorkshire.
9. Newark: an initial named Pesayak Towne, and later brand-new Milford, Newark was eventually referred to as after regional reverend Abraham Pierson's former east England parish that Newark-on-Trent. The chair of Essex County, in channel island-inspired brand-new Jersey, Newark addresses have actually European surname on three different lines.
See more: Asu Vs Ucla Football 2016 - Football History Vs Ucla From Sep 9, 1976
10. Richmond: The state capital of Virginia, Richmond was called by colonist william Byrd for the English town of Richmond-upon-Thames, now an rich suburb of London.